Week Beginning: Sunday 15th October, 2017
Sunday 15th October
Lilian feels guilty and Pip admits her faux pas
Adam, Ian, Henry, Tony, Lilian, Justin, Pip, Lily
- Ian is becoming fast friends with a potential surrogate. Henry shows up with Tony and is excited about his promised surprise when Adam takes him out.
- Lilian tries to interest Justin in wedding place card holders. Although Lilian is eager to keep Justin with her, Justin seems a bit removed. Lilian's shower needs attention and she asks Justin to call Philip to see to it.
- Henry's surprise is a battery-operated drone and he is shrieking with delight when Lilian rides up on her horse. Adam asks how Justin's surprise dinner went. Lilian tries to cover her ignorance of the dinner but quickly realizes it was on the night she lied to Justin and met Matt instead.
- Pip seems disturbed about something but Lily finally wangles it out of her. Pip reveals that she made a pass at Toby which was refused. Pip feels so stupid. Lily offers advice in a woman-of-the-world weary voice. Lily says that Toby is Pip's ex but he is still fit. Why did Pip dump him in the first place? Pip explains in detail why her relationship with Toby went wrong. Lily asks how she feels now about Toby. Pip hesitantly confesses that she wishes to be more than just friends but she doesn't want a serious relationship. Lily advises that she explain all this to Toby and see what he says.
- Lilian tackles Justin about his reluctance to mention the dinner. Justin dismisses the episode but Lilian is apologetic for upsetting him for any reason at all. Lilian has a text and she interrupts her conversation to read it. Justin asks why she seems to be on edge; he will not allow anything to interfere with their perfect wedding day.
- Henry asks how Ian and Adam will have a baby. Ian and Tony are embarrassed and try to change the topic but Adam explains that people have babies in all sorts of ways. He and Ian will find a nice lady to grow their baby in her tummy. After Tony and Henry leave, Adam confesses he is enjoying his time with Henry very much and has grown to like the idea of being a father. Ian is thrilled.
Summarised by Cynthia Curran
Monday 16th October
Shula's day goes from bad to worse. Ruth makes plans for the future
Pip, Ruth, Toby, Shula, Alistair, Latif
- Toby shows up at Brookfield with brake problems on his truck. He was looking for Josh to help fix it. Pip comes in and there is an awkward greeting. Ruth offers to help Pip fix the fences. She wants to talk.
- Shula gives Alistair the bad news about the spread of gossip regarding the loss of the horse. Shula is worried about what people choose to believe but Alistair is confident he will be cleared by the College. Shula chooses this busy moment to bring up the new dinner jacket.
- Ruth is concerned about Pip leaving Brookfield and working full time elsewhere. Ruth wants Pip to move back home. Perhaps the dairy herd would be expanded but it won't be if Pip does not plan on staying with Brookfield. The decision is all up to her, especially as Josh has his own business now.
- Shula can't let go of the new jacket idea and she comes back to the surgery to ask Alistair about it again. Graham's sister is having a large birthday party on the same night as the hunt ball. Shula has a melt down and objects violently to Alistair being on call that night. Latif comes in and hears the raised voices. Latif is shocked to hear about Anisha's absence and seems disturbed. Alistair describes Graham and his experience with horses.
- Pip tells Ruth that she isn't planning on going anywhere. Expansion of the herd is on the horizon, then. Pip insists that David and Ruth must take a holiday if she is to stay at Brookfield. No discussion, they must go, says Pip. Toby leaves after refusing Ruth's offer of lunch. Ruth asks Pip about Toby's awkwardness but Pip is noncommittal.
- Latif asks about the complaint against Alistair. Alistair and Shula do their best to put the rumour to rest about the horse. Latif seems a bit noncommittal in his reaction but his leave-taking is cordial. Shula keeps worrying about the effects of the rumour on the practice but Alistair tells her sharply that she isn't helping. He must keep working and trust the College will exonerate him.
Summarised by Cynthia Curran
Tuesday 17th October
Tony is put in an awkward position and Emma is suspicious
Eddie, Joe, Emma, Nic, Justin, Tony, Peggy, Lilian
- Eddie and Joe are collecting apples for cider. Joe is sad the ancient apple trees will be felled and the fruit lost forever. Eddie is worried about their pinching apples. Joe can't take cuttings until the leaves are gone and they aren't sure if the trees will still be there at that time.
- Emma and Nic seem to be great friends and are helping each other out behind the bar at The Bull. Nic promises to help Emma in the Parish council elections, and Emma mentions that Jim told her young people don't tend to vote. Emma should target the older population. Emma suddenly grows suspicious and wonders why Jim would tell her that.
- Justin comes upon Tony as he visits the farm. He asks Tony to be a witness at the wedding. Tony is nonplussed and seems reluctant. Justin tells him to think it over. Tony confides to him mum that Justin has asked him to be a witness. Peggy is incredulous that he hasn't said yes immediately. Lilian is Tony's sister and he must do it for family, whatever his personal reservations.
- Emma asks Peggy's advice on Jim's offer of help. He is supposed to be neutral. Is he offering help merely to get back at Robert? Peggy says that if Jim wants to endanger his position, that is up to him. Emma should accept the help and because of her moral integrity, she can certainly count on Peggy's vote. Emma reassures Nic that she will be great behind the bar. Emma has also decided that she will take Jim's help in the election; you can't be too picky in politics.
- Nic's idea of giving a free bottle of cider with each turkey is showing results. Does she have any further ideas, Joe and Eddie want to know? Nic does: can't they sell their Tumble Tussock cider as a rare cider for more money?
- Joe and Eddie tell Nic they have decided her idea is perfect. The name they have chosen is too cumbersome, Nic thinks. Lilian and Justin are having a drink in The Bull when Joe comes up. Joe wants to know when work will start on the other half of the new estate outside Borchester. Lilian asks why and Joe says it is down to family matters. Justin promises Joe that he will let him know if he hears anything although the development is nothing to do with him. Tony comes up and agrees to be a witness at the wedding; Lilian is surprised speechless that Justin has asked him. Justin wanted it to be a nice surprise which is why he didn't tell her. It is going to be the perfect wedding.
Summarised by Cynthia Curran
Wednesday 18th October
Robert has victory in mind and Kate tries to do the right thing
Jennifer, Kate, Brian, Noluthando, Lynda, Robert, Freddie
- Jennifer and Brian are concerned about the length of Noluthando's visit. She needs to be in school with people her own age. Kate argues she is only in Ambridge until Christmas and the whole reason she came was to spend time with Kate. Brian says the law is that Noluthando is only 16 and she must be in full time education. Noluthando comes up and categorically refuses to go to any sort of education. Kate allows her to leave without coming to an agreement about education. Jennifer sighs and declares at least they tried but Brian declares if Kate won't be a responsible parent they must step up.
- Lynda tells Robert that she has decided not to direct the Christmas show this year. Lynda has far more important things in her life including the PC elections. She will offer Robert the benefit of her long experience. So Lynda will be directing him instead of the show, mutters Robert. Robert confides that Sabrina Braithwaite quoted Aristotle when Robert asked for her vote; she then began discussing morals. This is Sabrina you are talking about, questions Lynda.
- Brian insists that Kate sit and talk. Kate absolutely refuses to send Noluthando to college. Brian declares if Noluthando stays at the farm, she must go to college. Phoebe went to school went she was in South Africa. Kate must do the right thing no matter how difficult. Kate agrees and flounces out.
- Noluthando confides to Freddie that her father wants to divorce Kate and marry his girlfriend, the hyena. She calls the girlfriend that because of her laugh. Freddie points out college isn't bad and the social life is great. It is much better than hanging around yurts with Kate. Why not give it a try? Robert talks to Brian about his support for Robert's candidacy for the Parish Council. Brian grills Robert on specific issues. Brian advises Robert to go away and find issues he feels passionately about. He should then use those issues to campaign upon.
- Kate, in front of Brian and Jennifer, begins to discuss further education. Noluthando surprises everyone by agreeing to go along and visit the college. But she will need to go shopping and get new outfits if she is to attend. Brian exclaims disbelief but Kate readily agrees. And she is going under protest, Noluthando declares. Don't expect her to enjoy it.
- Lynda produces her old Sleeping Beauty script. The new director needn't start from scratch. Robert confesses he has had a bad day and he isn't sure he is cut out to be a politician. Brian says that Jim Lloyd and Nic have canvassed for Emma and Brian has pledged his vote. Robert is outraged; Jim is clearly using Emma as his puppet candidate. This means war!
Summarised by Cynthia Curran
Thursday 19th October
Matt continues to make trouble
Philip, Lilian, Shula, Toby, Pip, Matt
- Philip arrives to fix Lilian's famous shower when Shula drops in with tickets to the hunt ball. Shula complains about all the problems with the arrangements for the ball. There are issues with whisky and the mechanical bucking bronco, not to mention that Alistair will be on call. Lilian brings up a rumour about a livery horse of Shula's. This is a different issue than the horse who died during surgery.
- Lilian prepares to take Ruby for a walk to get out of Philip's way. Philip brings up the scene between Matt and Justin near The Bull. Philip stepped in to calm things down and Philip was worried that Justin had hard feelings. This is the first Lilian has heard of the argument and she is thoughtful.
- Pip repairs the fence near Toby's cottage. Toby brings out some tea for Pip and he brings up the awkward situation from the other day. Toby apologises but feels he needed to be honest about his feelings. That is what mates do, right? They both go back to work.
- As Lilian walks Ruby, Matt comes up in his car. Lilian asks what made Justin so angry at The Bull. Matt admits to winding up Justin about losing Ruby. He assures Lilian that nothing was said she need worry about. It begins to rain and Matt persuades Lilian to get in his car until the shower passes. He has something he'd like to discuss.
- Pip knocks on Toby's door. She confesses she doesn't want to be mates; she has feelings for Toby and they are not going away. Toby wants things to be clear; what is Pip saying? Pip is confused and Toby kisses her.
- Matt has a problem with Lilian's friend Philomena. A price was agreed for her horse but now she is hesitating. Matt wants Lilian to visit Philomena to facilitate the sale; to oil the wheels. Matt claims he is off a week on Sunday and time is short to finish the sale. Can't Lilian do this one little favour for old times' sake? Matt declares he'll soon be gone forever from Lilian's life. Lilian agrees.
Summarised by Cynthia Curran
Friday 20th October
Lilian receives a shocking proposition
Justin, Shula, Lilian, Alistair, Matt
- Justin calls Shula about the rumour of the boarded horse being mistreated. The rumour started on an online horse discussion site. Someone calling herself Roberta has been blaming Shula all over the internet. Roberta was a stable girl who was fired by Shula for mistreating the lame horse. Lilian is grateful that Justin has helped Shula by tracking down the source of the rumour. Lilian asks about a wedding detail, and Justin repeats his mantra: our wedding will be perfect.
- Shula reads all of Roberta's posts and now she is lambasting Alistair's practice as well. None of it is true and all is vindictive. Alistair tries to console Shula by noting that it is good Roberta was sacked. Alistair further advises that Shula not try to answer these charges; just ignore them and things will gradually calm down.
- Lilian meets Matt in a lay-by to report on her conversation with the friend over the horse sale. Lilian did ask about the proposed deal. It turns out Lilian's friend had doubts about the suitability of the horse in question but Lilian managed to change her mind. Matt insists on treating Lilian to lunch at a near-by gastro pub as thanks.
- Shula is pleased to hear that Graham is giving up his sister's party to cover the night of the hunt ball instead of Alistair. But worse news is that Latif doesn't want to use Alistair's practice anymore. The excuse is that Anisha is unavailable but Alistair and Shula realize that they are losing clients because of the rumour mill.
- Matt is determined to bring up old times during lunch but Lilian is panicked to see Roy come into the pub. Matt makes it clear that he doesn't care if things get back to Justin. There is nothing innocent about their meetings, claims Matt. They are having an affair. Lilian protests this isn't true but Matt claims he knows she feels the same. Matt wants Lilian to go away with him. Does Lilian want a sham marriage like her sister? Does she want to be stuck here in the middle of nowhere with Justin and never be truly happy? Lilian waveringly declares that Justin is the man she loves. Matt declares he is wealthy now and he is the man who excites Lilian. Grab your last chance while you have it, urges Matt. I am not going anywhere with you, hisses Lilian.
Summarised by Cynthia Curran
Credited scriptwriter: Simon Frith