The Most Recent Summarised Episode ...
Wednesday 21st June
Tom, Tony, Pat, Helen, Justin, Lilian.
- In the kitchen at Bridge Farm, the family hang on Tom's every word. The news is bad. One developer has withdrawn, the other wants 10 acres for over 60 houses. Tony is beside himself. Pat and Helen are of one voice. No! Tony asks Tom to go back and conclude the deal with Justin. When he finds out how Tom had left matters, Tony approaches meltdown. He insists that he will go and try and smooth ruffled feathers. Tom, however, wants the chance to put things right and Tony bravely agrees to one last meeting.
- At the Dower House, Tom is treated to a masterclass in business behaviour. Justin feels let down, he had an agreement and Tom welched. The landscape has now changed. While Tom can see no reason why the previous offer should not be resurrected, Justin can. He offers £850,000. Tom is left almost speechless but is given some good advice. He should go and talk his answer over with his parents before turning the revised offer down.
- A glum Tom walks in on Tony and Pat at Bridge Farm. He's very sorry and he'd tried his best but Justin has dropped his offer to £850,000. He won't budge. Tony is again furious and won't sell for less than the land's worth. Tony insists on speaking to Justin and Tom lopes off with his tail between his legs. As Tony leaves, Lilian calls round with tile samples. She was shocked to hear that Pat and Tony had turned down Justin's offer, but soon caught on to the fact that it was Tom's doing, not theirs. With the atmosphere becoming frostier, Lilian leaves.
- Tony opens discussions with Justin who insists that the land is worth only what the buyer wants to pay. Tony agrees that Justin may look elsewhere locally for land, but may find it difficult to find such a favourable spot. In addition, he would be unlikely to get it at anything less than the original offer of £1 million. Tony hints that rumours spread like wildfire in such a small community. Justin takes his point. The bargaining begins with Tony's suggestion of £950,000 being rejected. After a few fraught minutes, Tony agrees to £900,000. The deal is done.
- Lilian catches up with Tom at Bridge Farm. She feels that she knows what's been going on. Tom says that he was given advice and developer contacts. Lilian suspects the culprit was Matt. She's certain that Tom has been used to teach others a lesson. As Lilian makes for home, Helen turns up to offer a sisterly shoulder to cry on and to say how upset she was to hear of his argument with Kirsty. He doesn't want to talk about it, but of one thing he is certain. He won't be taken for a fool again.
Summarised by David Clark