Week Beginning: Sunday 14th January, 2018
Sunday 14th January
Kirsty makes a horrific discovery
Peggy, Jennifer, Kirsty, Roy, Tom, Pat.
- Jennifer calls to give her mother a lift to Pat's and takes the opportunity to mention how difficult things are at Home Farm. With Adam, Brian and Kate having their own difficulties and Noluthando looking forward to returning to South Africa, Jennifer just hopes that everyone will be able to settle their differences. Peggy looks forward to the day when an unhappy Noluthando manages to reconcile herself with her mother.
- Kirsty tries to persuade Roy to come down to the Am for the traditional New Year swim, even though almost all the other participants have cried off. She has little success. He just wants, or rather needs, to talk of his plans with Lexi. The chances of their Bulgarian trip seem to be receding. He can't come to terms with her offer of surrogacy to Adam and Ian. Why on earth should she want to put herself through the pain of carrying a child, only to give it away? He really can't understand how she's thinking.
- At Bridge Farm, Pat tells a rather morose Tom that she and Tony would support his kefir venture for a further month if he wished. He's quite insistent that he must move on to other fermented food, perhaps kimchi, and not continue to throw good money after bad. Pat tells him that they're both proud of his determination, at which point Jenny and Peggy hove into view. Tom can't face his aunt's bragging about Brian's business award and escapes indoors. Jenny notes his disappearance and then pushes off herself, leaving Pat and Peggy to go inside to prepare for lunch.
- Kirsty has persuaded a miserable Roy to go to the river with her but not to swim. He is the guardian of the towel and custard creams. She's freezing and almost convinces herself to call it off come back with a wetsuit next week. At the last minute, she decides to strip off and wade in through the freezing mud. As she realises just how cold it is, Roy calls to her, she must come out... now! She wonders what's wrong as he shouts his instruction again. There's something in the water, by the reeds.
- Peggy finds Tom feeling more than sorry for himself. He feels that lately, he can't seem to get anything right. The kefir venture is just the latest in a long line of failure. Peggy offers a shoulder to cry on but as Pat comes in with an offer of pre-lunch sherry, he strops off. Pat apologises for his rudeness but Peggy sees further than that. He's having a crisis of confidence and just needs support, especially from his mother.
- Kirsty is safely out of the river, but despite Roy's urging to get properly dry and warm, she's on a mission. She phones the local Environment Agency hotline to report a potentially serious incident. There are dozens of dead fish floating in the Am.
Summarised by David Clark
Monday 15th January
Lexi reaches an emotional decision and Rex is surprised by recent developments
Toby, Pip, Lexi, Roy, Adam, Rex.
- Pip and Toby meet at the shop. Their conversation is somewhat strained. He talks about the news of the activity surrounding dead fish in the Am. She counters with her father's fear that it may have been caused by runoff from their silage clamp. She also hopes that her father's visit to Toby the other day was civilised. As he begins to answer, Lexi's appearance gives him the opportunity to leave for a meeting. Pip fills Lexi in with the news of her pregnancy and her child's father. Lexi admits to knowing already.
- Roy and Adam meet, yet another strained conversation. Adam reckons that the Am has been contaminated with slurry runoff. Roy gets straight to the point, the fact that he's lunching with Lexi later. Adam says that he and Ian admire their generous surrogacy offer. Roy makes it crystal clear that it's solely Lexi's idea and nothing whatsoever to do with him.
- Rex returns from Scotland and meets Toby at Bert's cottage. Rex is dealt a body blow when he learns of Pips pregnancy. A few moments pass as it dawns on Rex that the father is his brother. He asks how she is and it becomes clear that Toby has no idea. Toby explains that her parents have made it clear that he's not wanted. Perhaps he should leave. The baby will be an Archer, not a Fairbrother. He's not even told his own parents. His future looks grim.
- At Grey Gables, Lexi finds Roy outside with a cup of tea. She tries to tell him the result of her lunchtime meeting, but he's almost uninterested. Adam and Ian have suggested she lives in a cottage at Home Farm during the pregnancy and Ian will try to find her extra work. They have offered to fly her children over from time to time. They are happy with the proposal but her mother fears that she's being exploited. Lexi thought that Roy would be happy with the new arrangements but he's still unhappy. He wants with all his heart to be able to accept her ideas... but he just can't.
- Rex talks to Pip while she cleans shoes for all she's worth. She explains that Jill has been surprisingly supportive. Her parents too but she suspects that their support is more superficial. Rex tells her that he will always be there for her as a friend, no matter what. She's thankful and reckons that he's going to make a top uncle.
- Lexi calls in to see Adam and Ian, Adam explains that Ian is visiting Helen, but he will return on the strength of a phone call. She says that she will call back tomorrow, but Adam has to know her decision immediately. She explains that though they are both good friends and lovely men, she has decided that she can't continue with her offer. She is happier with Roy than she has ever been with any man before. If he's not happy, then neither is she. She doesn't want to do anything to jeopardise her situation. Adam and Ian will have to look elsewhere.
Summarised by David Clark
Tuesday 16th January
Brian is in trouble and Susan has a brainwave
Wednesday 17th January
Justin stands accused
Thursday 18th January
Noluthando goes too far and Kate is forced to step up
Friday 19th January
There's a shock in store for Jennifer
Credited scriptwriter: Gillian Richmond